Friday, May 18, 2007

Them. The Other Them. And Us in the Middle

'Call us Malcolm, and we are strong (well, we can write really vicious blogs, anyway)!

After a mind-frying week, I decided to have a gentle surf of the 600 legitimate emails in my In-box that have built up over the last few days. Most are from e-newsletters, and will, sadly, now never be read, but the title of one caught my attention enough to read, and I am glad I did. It's good:

MTV Misses the Mark on Eco-Activists

This synergises so well with what I have experienced and write about, especially lately, over here. There is a really disturbing trend for the media and politics to try to drive wedges in matters green for their own short-termist ends.

This must be fought at every silly, sick little attempt to score a cheap vote or easy rating by using concern for the future so selfishly.

ADDENDUM:

I wrote to compliment the author, who has responded most charmingly:

Many thanks for your comments, and for taking the time to write in. I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and thanks for linking to it from your own blog!

I was moved to write on this because there were so many obvious, easy, constructive alternatives to what they had in mind. I’ve gotten lots of support from my friends and colleagues about it as well. I’ve been a part of SustainUS—The US Youth Network for Sustainable Development, which is an all-volunteer youth-run organization that sends young people to UN meetings, like the Commission on Sustainable Development, to have a voice. Being in great company there, it is so obvious to me that MTV would have plenty of candidates who would 1) make great TV, and 2) have innovative, educational, and important things to share.

Glad to be in touch.

Best,
Zoe

I hope to stay in touch with such a thoughtful correspondent.

No comments: