Friday, May 18, 2007

They are cracking me up!

Before I go to bed, I just have to get off my chest the latest idiocy from out national broadcaster.

A few years ago, a dirty great lump of ice in the middle of the Canadian wastewaters broke off.

Now, it is probably not a good thing, and possibly a further sign, should we need it, of a warming trend climatically. So far, so factual.

But what do we get? Po-faced, the anchor announces that: 'this is what it could have looked like; before we get what seemed like a cut-price CGI animatic to the opening sequence of Ice Age, the movie. Basically a cartoon of a white thing with a crack running along it.

Then, just for good measure, we get a blow by blow account of the BBC reporter and team struggling, you guessed it, to get there in a chartered airplane to stand on this two year old lump of floating ice, '...to understand what may have caused this'.

For some reason, all watching thought this more of an effective p*ss take than the preceding Have I Got New For You, and fell off their chairs laughing. I sooo feel my licence fee is being well spent.

ADDENDUM - yes, it's now also on the web: Mission to Ice Island - 'you can follow the progress of myself and producer Mark Georgiou and cameraman Duncan Stone.'

No comments: