Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Do you buy it?

I got quite excited when I read this BBC and Guardian launch new eco sites

More nifty ways to find out things to do to help the planet, I thought.

What I was not quite prepared for was the flogging stuff part when I got there.

My fault, I guess, I just have a different idea in mind when I think 'eco-site'. And it's not 'shop'. Or 'car salesroom'.

Now, the Guardian can do what it likes. But I'd love to have explained to me how 'leading media group' Aunty gets to flog a Ford Focus and still stay credible on reporting climate change... under the same brand name at least.

I am sure all will indeed be extremely successful in the run-up to Christmas, but just not quite so sure as to how it all helps the planet vs. not buying stuff. Instead of the LCD, OK, but what's the betting most in the demographic fancy both, plus a quick trip to Verbier to avoid the crowds. While the snow lasts. There's always the Rockies next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NIce stuff, good and interesting articles and very useful ways to find out things.
Thanks

Emma said...

Ta. Though I wish I'd been a bit more positive here though:(

Must have got me at a cynical moment.