Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Reality Bites Again... Literally

Malaria moves in behind the loggers

As most will know, I have a bee in my bonnet about deforestation. Mainly revolving around the logic of cutting down mature trees that are doing what carbon offset saplings may manage in 40 years.

However this adds more to my advocacy.

I have often seen certain insect borne diseases springing up in various locations being put down to global warming. Logically of course, if it does get warmer then the environment will be more appealing. So yes, it is an inevitable consequence.

But I think much more real, and immediate, is all the negative effects of man simply doing what comes unnaturally. Flying from a hotbed of nasties in a sealed tube and in two hours being in a climate-controlled building halfway around the world. With unwelcome co-passengers in the blood stream alkready, or about to get some.

Or, as in the case above, simply trashing the joint.

No comments: