Thursday, November 01, 2007

Bags of fun

This is an eyebrow-cock. I just watched a full BBC news splash about a town that has banned plastic bags.

Rather intriguingly, it was headed 'If you want to save the planet, then come and shop in Modbury'. OK, I'll let the logic of that one pass.

Now I admire any and all eco-efforts and wish only the best for those who use the media to push their cause. But... enviROI?

The issue of the cotton bags shipped over from India was quickly glossed over.

And it seems that 25,000 bags have been spared. I believe that's one tenth of the saving of driving one Volks Bluemotion in a year. I am unclear as to what else they do, or don't do there, which might actually help the planet as much as the PR industry. I saw a few shops in the background ablaze with lighting, which I am sure is down to CFLs. And for sure no doors open as heaters blast away inside?

I look forward to the story on the town where all the retailers club together and put insulation in the pensioners' homes. And the media cover it.

And as I look now at the next 'slot', I'm sure all the reporters will get there in chauffeured Mercs by way of example.

Addendum - Just watched it again at lunch. Something about the core of it all being biodegradable bags. Well, I am about to stroll to my local Somerfield (let's not get into the small shop thing here) and they have 'em. thing is, what are the consequences of these things biodegrading again?

No comments: