Thursday, November 01, 2007

Doing business with government

Soem things you just have to share: Is trying to sell to the public sector a waste of time?

And which utter ninny has wasted just how much on all these 'services' and sites?

Please, guys... stop. I'm in tears. Mais, apres la deluge... the depression.

Were it that I had read the further adventures of Vic before attending the Business/Local Authority social enterprise/Third Sector meeting t'other day, where lots of guys in suits from even more separate (but oddly similar-sounding) quango-esque bodies expressed how they were there to help, to the beaming nods of other besuited public service representatives who would later, I'm sure, dine at their hotels.

I'm not sure, but I think one of them was a representative of the funding body who had turned down my application for a grant on the basis that it was 'too left field.. and has never been done before'. Its name was: the 'Creative Innovation' Award.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Peter,

Doing business with the Govt. and their various agencies is nigh on impossible unless you are a big operator. Even if you can get to be a member of the club, so to speak, you need to be able to withstand a very poor cash-flow as they never, ever pay on the agreed terms. Getting what you are owed is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. I speak from painful and all too memorable experience; and I was working sub-contract via a major supplier! (Mind you , I did actually get some additional interest back on one very, very late payment from one particular arm of the govt.)

I believe that incompetence and the inability to do anything to agreed terms is an inherent cultural part of the entire governmental organisation; its probably almost a prerequisite to be incompetent to become an employee!

The only way I would ever do business with the like again is on payment upon supply. I fear you have very likely wasted your £50.

Emma said...

Oh.... fiddlestix!