Monday, March 17, 2008

PROF's POSER - Clinging to the right notion?

Smug alert!

As I write, I am tucking into the remnants of yesterday's Sunday lunch. Basically all the bits the boys didn't fancy, microwaved for 2 glorious minutes.

Now, here's the thing.

It was mircowaved in one of the containers that yesterday's pie came in. Makes sense.

Thing is, that combo lurked in the fridge (once it had cooled down outside first... I know my stuff. Well, some of it) overnight, sealed away under a wrapping of... clingfilm!

Now, I don't know about you, but the very idea of tearing of a strip of extra plastic these days was about as far from my mind as possible.

But my wife, bless her, gave me pause. Because, as she pointed out, I was going to transfer the left-overs from the tray to a plate or Tupperware, and in the latter case then tip onto a plate to heat up. And once all that was over, there was going to be some hot water washing required.

So my poser for the day is... which has the better enviROI? The consequences of 1 sqft of thin plastic (now in the recycling bin, where it will doubtless not be appreciated - see LABELLING), or the couple of cups of hot water to clean the crockery?

This oen is up there with storing PDFs vs. printing and deleting.

No comments: