Thursday, January 25, 2007

They're so bad I am at last being moved to action

One of the sadder things about politics today, is how we the people see the government as them and not us. These guys we voted in to represent us, and depend on our support for their jobs and salaries. They are us, and depend on us, and we must never let them forget it.

So tomorrow I am going to a local political meeting. Shame it's at 7am, but hey.

I have decided enough is enough.

They are being rewarded these days more for how clever and bright they seem, rather than how right and effective they are.

This downward spiral needs to be rectified.

Indy - Naked greed and other core British values - I am not alone

I was going to add a new post to make this next point, but as it's about living in Britain and being proud to be British I think it will do here just as well. Because some current miserable examples of those who think they can score some cosy index-linked, gold-plated careers leading us into the abyss, are currently using it as a bandwagon.

A highly lucid, black young man at a school (so some of it must be working, despite what the Media will try and stir up) answered the question 'What does it mean to be British' this morning best, if slightly inaccurately (I believe). He said 'You have been born in Britain'.

Actually I think it's a bit more complex than that, involving British Passports and all, but on balance he's bang on. That's all it is, a label that makes border controls convenient. Anything else (Fish 'n chips, tolerance (or lack, though how the words and deeds of some prepped and manipulated Chavs in a TV isolation chamber can be deemed how British society now is, escapes me), bowlers (hats, not overpaid sponsorship efforts who can't do their job right in Oz), innovation, etc) is simply no longer relevant.

I sat down with my boys to figure out what we thought it could be. Here's what we came up with:

'To be proud of where you came from and where you are, and seek to make the best of your place in the human race, recognising, accepting and revelling in a non-aggressive and not in a negatively judgemental manner our many ways of being and doing, with respect for the past, and a simple, unselfish desire to make things better for all in the future.'

I'm sure there are others better than this. But it's not bad... for a start.

No comments: