Monday, February 12, 2007

Armageddingouttahere

Untangling the global warming paradox

What a great post by ScepticOptimist. I shall be happy to point at it in my blog.

To try and add something, or at least another take on this, I find these cerebral debates interesting, though worrying, as they do seem to be creating distracting delays that are (may be) hard to justify.

I am not an economist. Or a business leader. Or a politician. Or a professional journalist. But I do rather suspect that if (!) we keep on going the way we are (may) be, and don't pop in some corrections PDQ, then there won't be much by way of sophisticated economies to mull over, consumers to sell to, voters to persuade or indeed readers to pay the salary.

The planet has a finite area. There are wet bits and dry bits. We stand on the dry bits and survive off the bounty of the bits we are not standing on. As we as a race are expanding, I foresee a slight problem coming by simple maths. This problem is made a lot worse by some other activities we engage in as we go beyond the basics (eating, drinking, etc), and may even be hyperbolic.

So I am more than a little concerned as to how we are at present doing anything practical to recognise, much less act to slow, stop or even reverse the desire to breed, earn money and find more and more ways to spend on what you don't really need, especially on travel.

But I really think it's worth trying... about now.

No comments: