Monday, February 12, 2007

Some of us just have more access than others

As I'm pondering democracy, I happened across this from Bad Science: The Price Is Wrong

I was going to post my thoughts, but one thing I have noticed is that these guys are very highbrow and while not rude, rather dismissive of those not within the halls of academe. A shame, as I think a lot more could be achieved by engaging with interested ams like me. So I'll keep it here.

The thread is in fact about academic journals, and the charging policies vs. free access that applies.

I was going to pitch in and add that it can be a similar situation with the environment. Not just with information, but also conferences, etc.

Some of the costs to know and share stuff can be prohibitive if you are not a major commercial or funded GO3, which creates a gap between those who can afford to be 'in', and those who may have a lot to contribute and are priced 'out'. So policy can often go in directions that is not reflected by the views and contribution of a truly representative whole.

No comments: