Monday, February 05, 2007

A not so funny thing happened on the way between forums

Hilary does Davos.

I may ruffle some liberal feathers here, but this came across to me waaaaay too 'I'm in and can. You're out and can't'.: What I found at the forum

'Not to detract from the many fine things that doubtless get discussed and maybe even achieved by you and your colleagues (and media camp followers) as you move on from Davos and the (WSF), but to me these were just dates in the political calendar, and some very long and boring periods spent online reviewing posts.

Speaking for this part the UK’s less well funded, as I get invited almost daily to conferences about similar issues of great concern, I could do with receiving immediate and unstoppable support as I rally at the registration pages demanding to be let in for free. But it seems endless staff and budget-bloated NGOs are making it a pretty good industry for the conference organisers, airlines and hotels, especially accommodating organizations who can run to co-coordinators of trade programmes. I just wonder who gets to go, who pays, why and the ROI’s being derived.

Frankly there DOES seem to be something like a World Social Forum every day, and they are all having a real impact as vast hordes shuttle between them.

Just... maybe not the one intended?'

I'm all for talking if things get done that offer a return of value, but the massive grant support for these talking shops does not seem worth it if this is what we get.

Shame the example had to be the FoE, but really, how much gets spent where it's needed, and how much on... other stuff?

No comments: