Monday, February 05, 2007

RE:view a review



There is something I wrote to, though it is nearly impossible to access and I doubt my post made it:

I like AA Gill's writing. It's funny and usually skewers just what needs skewering. He's also rather handsome in a tall dark and well-decked sort of way. So you'd think he'd be on screen more. Interestingly, whenever I've seen him he comes across as a tongue-tied dork, so I think he's prowling the most fruitful territory for his talents.

Which is how I stumbled across this, and had to reply: AA Gill


Hands off Ray. As your mate JC has pointed out, he’s not a real ‘hero-‘hero, but he’s the non-tabloid equivalent if we can ever think of an appropriate word. I’ve told my missus that my one true dream is to spend a year with him (not, perhaps the best way of putting it to my spouse, on reflection), mooching about the world learning what to do after the revolution has come. That’s when nature revolts, by the by, which I’ve been told in all the papers for one day last week (BB got a bit more coverage as I recall) is in ten years’ time. The moment I knew he was ‘the one’ was when your paper asked him to review a new 4x4, and he didn’t like it because you could no longer replace damaged wheel hubs with baked bean tins. That’s the kind of pragmatic planet-saving mixed message I can go with (JC is cool with the whole end of days scenario in his car review, though, so that’s OK)

As to Top Gear, all I can say is they have a very big shed. And a wadge of Wonga I can only envy. My sons and I stood transfixed in Woolies this weekend as Billy Bob Colletrouge reduced a brand new Prius to the world’s biggest colander with the content’s of his Hummer’s Glock box. And I tell them off for shooting their Action Men with BB guns as it may break them and be a waste.

Which brings me, in sequence, to Holiday Watchdog. Didn’t see it, but in light of the whole 10 years to Armageddon thing, from your review I can only hope that George M might also have popped in something about those socially inept tribespersons possibly getting to the point of having better things to worry about than uninvited visitors, as a consequence of film crews, eoc-elites en route to a climate conference in Bali and then finally tourists lobbing up by air to see them suffer. Mind you, as they could probably teach Ray a thing or two, maybe they will be the ones visiting what’s left of us in a few decades.

Note the picture. Even Junkk.com gets more readers!

No comments: