Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mirror, mirror

I rely on the very excellent Grist for many things, and will continue to do so, but where it strays into Global Warming territory I think they are in danger of losing the plot. I don't doubt their sincerity, but as to the methodology... well, they've lost me.

A long rant about facts, persuasion, and global warming

'If only God the gift had gae us, to see oursel's as others see us'
Robert Burns

Re: A long rant about facts, persuasion, and global warming

I guess it's OK here (though while I am personally interested, I don't feel qualified and hence any more able to stay adequately focused on all this, possibly along with a few others who may not feel motivated to make it even as far as this fine forum), but here are a few subjective points to offer.

While some facts do need length for the full stories to be adequately told, when talking about persuasion on global warming, I suspect few media outlets are prepared to permit anything more than a sound bite that will feed the next headline.

Hiding behind the veracity of science is comforting as a justification, and its purity over realities of communication a possible consolation, but care must be taken that one only sees one aspect of science as 'the truth', and remains didactic in fighting from only that corner.

These are challenges to be addressed, whist avoiding a few other things.

High on the list, possibly, could be rants?

No comments: