Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Floods and Tears 3 - The wilderness years

Some may recall that the latest water-borne threats inspired me to get active on a bit of personal initiative by way of prevention rather than cure.

To date, I have had no further advice from the Environment Agency or Council, and am rather concerned that as the waters have abated, so has official interest. Until, of course the next 'unprecedented, unexpected' event.

For what it's worth, I have been sent a press release to Junkk.com that may allow for some action, and I will be making my views felt there*... since they have asked.

A website has been set up to allow the public to submit their comments at: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/floodingreview

* Beyond professional interest, as my home was under threat I tried on a personal basis to get some information and advice from the Environment Agency and my council with a view to taking proactive steps by way of prevention, being better than cure.

Even with such a direct approach I have still heard nothing.

I think much more is needed to help those prepared not to be victims the next time, which there will be.

I fear as the waters have subsided, so has the interest of those surely tasked to think ahead as much as 'cope and hope'.

No comments: