Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why skilled engineers make perfect leaders

Amen!

Peter Martin, Junkk Male, Big 'Ed, top 40 producer, ad agency owner CD... and BSc Civ. Eng (Hons - so long as I promised not to try and build anything)

Times - The world’s your oyster
Times - Professional development
Times - Making a difference
Times - Engineering a solution

I left Uni 25 years ago with a BSc Civ. Eng.

A combination of happy factors took me through advertising and
music production to an ideal career now trying to save the planet
through science AND the art of persuasion, via branding, reward and
incentive.

However, it was rather sad then (and I'm not so sure it's too different
now) that of a graduating class of around 35, less than 10% remained
directly in the profession. And most of (well, 3 and a half of them) were
not spanning the Humber or building dams bestride a mighty D10. A
two-up two-down in Slough was more the speed. So good careers
planning and management of graduate expectations is still critical I'd say.

Mind you, most of my mates are now 'Masters of the Universe' in the
City (bit of a black sheep, me),so something must have worked out
well, if not perhaps for our culture of innovation in actually making
tangible 'things' any more. But as Mr. Dyson has proven, it's hard to
design them and sell them if you don't know how to make them.

No comments: