Friday, November 02, 2007

Carbcon Diet

This time it's personal

Will carbon allowances for individuals - with credits and penalties - cut carbon emissions? A growing movement thinks so.

Meanwhile this personal movement of one is not so sure, or at least that it will be fair and effective.

However, I perk up when I hear of rewarding those who live a low-carbon lifestyle.

Then I learn of the vision's orginator, in part: David Miliband, the former environment secretary, now foreign secretary. He who ducked out of meeting the Saudi King rather than deal with the problems that might have created. Nice to know who's in charge when things get awkward.

Then I read on. What a load of...

I'm with Paul Monaghan, who seems to have more than 'doubts': "The mechanics would be a nightmare. Think how hard it has been to get a meaningful EU emissions trading scheme." And then some... it's back to my Kalahari bushman and Mekong fishwife.

And I think 'a recent spate of books on low-carbon living' attest less 'to the growing popular understanding of climate change', than a total public confusion, more than amply served by those trying to make a quick buck - There are now carbon coaches and green lifestyle advisers, low-carbon diets and carbon footprint websites - plus me, natch:)

Fair trade takes on a whole new meaning in Manchester


Not a bad piece, actually, though again I don't get how it works effectively other than as a liberal, western, affluent, feelgood game.

Gotta love this lot: Manchester Is My Planet (Mimp) who registered their personal carbon emissions at rsacarbonlimitedcities.com

CarbonLimited will be coming to a city near you to further develop the idea of a personal carbon trading scheme.

To get involved (hey, what's the worse that could happen?), visit rsacarbonlimited.org

No comments: