Friday, November 02, 2007

Smoking Gun

Newsnight - MET POLICE GUILTY

I feel moved to comment on an aspect of the de Menezes shooting; last night's interview with the young lady in the tube who witnessed this poor man's final moments.

To me it was telling, especially in light of what still is unfurling as I write, about the state of our governance, our law machine... and our media.

First up, it was one of the most compelling pieces of simple TV I have ever seen. A calm, dignified, controlled (though obviously with difficulty) young person recounting what must have been a truly unimaginable series of events.

The majority of the interview was fine, with the questioner also calm and off camera, but I was quite disgusted with the leading nature of the questions towards the end, putting words in her mouth, pushing an agenda and, if I heard right, trying (and failing - good on her) to elicit some morbid descriptions.

What I retain are the facts she recounted. And the simple fact that she felt the officers were 'hysterical' and that no one had a clue they were police leaves to me massive questions on the standard of training and the organisational policies behind them, right up to the top.

Not this nation's finest hour. But why, as always, do I suspect that all who should hang their heads in shame and walk with empty pockets will do no such thing. And hence the cock-ups will continue.

ADDENDUM - I feel compelled to clarify that I don't hold those brave enough to try and stop a person who might vapourise them (and those they have gone into harm's way to protect) accountable for anything. Especially here.

My concern is all that goes into and behind getting them to that point. And if the best guys for the job are not put in the best position to do it, prepared in the best way, then I think questions do need to be asked. Are they not... the bozos who disorganised it all will remain.

ADDENDUM 2 - Just watched an interview about four firemen missing in a fire. The 'reporter' actually asked the spokesperson how he felt!

Indy Blog -

Several decades ago I got taunted by my mates because a namesake had been shot in his Mini (which I also drove - car of choice for major crims) because he had been mistaken for the gangster boyfriend of his passenger. It was really story of farce from top to toe.

Now, what lessons have been learned?

Would I do the job of the officers?
Would I 'eck!

Do I respect the courage that they show to go into such harm's way?
Do I ever!

Would I want them in any way compromised in doing what they do to the best of their ability to prevent a future terrorist atrocity?
No.

As to those who managed or created or managed the systems and procedures to cause this tragic situation, all I ask is that truth be told and where someone is not up to the job they do not get rewarded for that fact by staying on to repeat their errors... at the very least.

I heard the BBC interview with the witness (an amazing young person, frankly) who sat beside the victim, and what I heard from her does not equate to what I thought I knew. Or what I expect from those tasked to defend me and mine.

Guardian - Our silence is senseless

No comments: